NASAM's stroke specific therapy and holistic programmes empower stroke survivors to lead meaningful lives.
Importance of Rehabilitation
A stroke can have a drastic impact on you and your family, but at NASAM we believe that with dedicated rehabilitation you can Celebrate LIFE After Stroke.
Our team of professional therapists make it a priority to ensure that the recovery journey of a stroke survivor, whom we refer to as a strokee or a Stroke Champion, is aimed at restoring self-esteem and dignity. We look into the physical, emotional and social needs of strokees and our integrated approach includes physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, emotional therapy, recreational and social activities as well as various complementary therapies.
At NASAM stroke survivors have a choice of group therapy, customised one-on-one therapy or both. For those not able to be present physically at the center there is Telerehab. Family members are also guided on helping with recovery.
• Relearning correct movements and balance.
• Ensures muscles and joints remain flexible and pain-free.
• Improves strength, flexibility and coordination.
•Addresses issues such as memory, reasoning and function.
• Therapy involves improving cognitive skills and relearning everyday activities to enable optimal function and independence.
•There are also special sessions for those who plan to return to work.
• Counselling by volunteer counsellors or peer support groups (made up of stroke survivors who have well recovered and leading exemplary lives).
• Improves communication skills through comprehension, speech, reading or writing.
• Using different techniques such as auditory and visual feedback, picture material, speech drills are used.
•Also helps strokees having difficulty eating and drinking due to swallowing issues as a result of the stroke.
Complements face-to-face therapies for those not near a NASAM center.
• Zoom — group sessions with a mix of upbeat aerobics, exercises to improve strength, balance and endurance, OT and mind and body relaxation via Qi Gong.
• WhatsApp video — essential exercises for those who cannot join the fixed timings of the Zoom sessions.
• One-on-One — with a therapist. By appointment.
• Group therapies conducted by NASAM rehab team or volunteers.
• Alternative forms of wellness such as Qi Gong, Tai Chi, Yoga and Music and Sound therapies.
• To improve quality of life, increase self-esteem, reduce stress and deter feelings of depression.
• Programmes include art and crafts, cooking, gardening and games.
• Regular outings to enhance confidence of strokees to venture into public places. Also promotes fellowship among strokees.
• Social events — parties to celebrate various festivals and birthdays .
Caregivers Support Group
Stroke affects not only the strokee but also the family whose loved one needs care and unconditional love.
Volunteer counsellors who have cared for a stroke survivor provide support to families who have trouble coping or adapting with the increased responsibilities and changed lifestyles when caring for a strokee.